POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 (Message 6 to 15 of 35)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Rune
Subject: Re: Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001
Date: 31 Dec 2001 10:23:04
Message: <3c3082d8@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> > Crash with no objects in scene
> > http://news.povray.org/3bd985b0@news.povray.org
> > (also reported as http://news.povray.org/3C19B9EA.D2E16FBC@gmx.de
>
> Duplicate of function problem in beta 8.  Already fixed in beta 9.

It still crashes on my system using beta 9.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Dec 2001 12:25:01
Message: <3c309f6d@news.povray.org>
In article <3C307740.72F654E0@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> I understand that, but in most cases it would be perfectly sufficient to
> enable background saving only when a render is running.
>
> BTW, i presume the situation of saving while a scene is being parsed (that
> uses this file) is a problematic case anyway.

When saving goes on in the background the behavior gets unpredictable even
for the developers of the software.  I.e. what happens when the user starts
rendering (because the current scene has finished) of the scene file while
saving is still in progress?  This would again require the "Start Rendering"
command to be disabled.

In short it would be a usability nightmare and adds nothing but confusion.
POV-Ray GUIs are a kind of IDE, not word processors* :-)

    Thorsten

* While some may not see the difference, see the GUI as *independent* from
the renderer.  There is no such independent element in word processors.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde