POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 : Re: Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Dec 2001 12:25:01
Message: <3c309f6d@news.povray.org>
In article <3C307740.72F654E0@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> I understand that, but in most cases it would be perfectly sufficient to
> enable background saving only when a render is running.
>
> BTW, i presume the situation of saving while a scene is being parsed (that
> uses this file) is a problematic case anyway.

When saving goes on in the background the behavior gets unpredictable even
for the developers of the software.  I.e. what happens when the user starts
rendering (because the current scene has finished) of the scene file while
saving is still in progress?  This would again require the "Start Rendering"
command to be disabled.

In short it would be a usability nightmare and adds nothing but confusion.
POV-Ray GUIs are a kind of IDE, not word processors* :-)

    Thorsten

* While some may not see the difference, see the GUI as *independent* from
the renderer.  There is no such independent element in word processors.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde