POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Reallocing Finite with extension (with crash) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Reallocing Finite with extension (with crash) (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
Subject: Reallocing Finite with extension (with crash)
Date: 28 Jan 2002 06:04:52
Message: <8laa5us450irp75g6l2i4e84dm1c4v4i01@4ax.com>
POV 3.5 b 10 icl on WinNT Sp 6 PII 233 with 128 MB

There were some reports about "Reallocing Finite" message and crash previously
(i.e. http://news.povray.org/3c375d62%241%40news.povray.org ).
But I'm not sure if my crash is connected with it so I report.

Look at below scene

// SCRIPT 1
#local C=1000;
#while(C)
  #declare D=-C^.5*100*z;
  #local C=C-1;
#end

It is parsed sucesfully and returns black render so let's add ad object

// SCRIPT 2
#local C=1000;
#while(C)
  #declare D=-C^.5*100*z;
  sphere{0 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
  #local C=C-1;
#end

It crash every time with last message about "relocating finite" message.
But it is not end of problem. Let's reorder calculation for D.

// SCRIPT 3
#local C=1000;
#while(C)
  #declare D=-100*C^.5*z;
  sphere{0 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
  #local C=C-1;
#end

It not crash. It is parsed ok, opens render window and then it stops rendering
with Rendering Error "Too many nested objects". Well, nested objects ? Does it
mean one inside another. Let's see - yes, they are identical - it's centered
object rotated around origin. So let's move it a little along x.

// SCRIPT 4
#local C=1000;
#while(C)
  #declare D=-100*C^.5*z;
  sphere{x 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
  #local C=C-1;
#end

It not crash but it still says "Too many nested objects". So let's see
documentation. Only thing related to "nested objects" string is "5.2.6.2
Automatic Bounding Control" so let's repeat all scripts with Bounding=off.
Unfortunatlly behaviour not changed.

Any confirmation ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> POV 3.5 b 10 icl on WinNT Sp 6 PII 233 with 128 MB
>
> There were some reports about "Reallocing Finite" message and crash
previously
> (i.e. http://news.povray.org/3c375d62%241%40news.povray.org ).
> But I'm not sure if my crash is connected with it so I report.
>
> Look at below scene
>
> // SCRIPT 1
> #local C=1000;
> #while(C)
>   #declare D=-C^.5*100*z;
>   #local C=C-1;
> #end
>
> It is parsed sucesfully and returns black render so let's add ad
object

> // SCRIPT 2
> #local C=1000;
> #while(C)
>   #declare D=-C^.5*100*z;
>   sphere{0 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
>   #local C=C-1;
> #end
>
> It crash every time with last message about "relocating finite"
message.
> But it is not end of problem. Let's reorder calculation for D.
>
> // SCRIPT 3
> #local C=1000;
> #while(C)
>   #declare D=-100*C^.5*z;
>   sphere{0 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
>   #local C=C-1;
> #end
>
> It not crash. It is parsed ok, opens render window and then it stops
rendering
> with Rendering Error "Too many nested objects". Well, nested objects
? Does it
> mean one inside another. Let's see - yes, they are identical - it's
centered
> object rotated around origin. So let's move it a little along x.
>
> // SCRIPT 4
> #local C=1000;
> #while(C)
>   #declare D=-100*C^.5*z;
>   sphere{x 1 rotate D pigment{rgb 1}}
>   #local C=C-1;
> #end
>
> It not crash but it still says "Too many nested objects". So let's
see
> documentation. Only thing related to "nested objects" string is
"5.2.6.2
> Automatic Bounding Control" so let's repeat all scripts with
Bounding=off.
> Unfortunatlly behaviour not changed.
>
> Any confirmation ?
>
> ABX

SCRIPT 3+4: It keeps saying "Rendering line 1 of 480" in the status
bar.
Everything confirmed (WINPOV Beta 10, Win 98SE, 128MB, P3 600MHz).
Felix Wiemann

Post a reply to this message