POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Smooth mesh2 artifacts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth mesh2 artifacts (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Slime
Subject: Smooth mesh2 artifacts
Date: 28 May 2002 23:19:41
Message: <3cf448cd@news.povray.org>
Lots of people have heard about this problem... I'm not sure if it's been
heavily looked into, but there's definitely a problem with black artifacts
appearing at the edge of smooth meshes.

Anyway, I thought I'd make a formal bug report for it, in hopes that someone
might figure it out and fix it. The following scene, consisting of a mesh
with a single triangle, displays the problem:

camera {
 location <0,3,-3>
 look_at 0
}

light_source {
 <-1,1,-1>*9999
 rgb 1
}

mesh2 {
 vertex_vectors {
  3,
  -x,x,3*z
 }
 normal_vectors {
  3,
  y,y,y+z // last normal points away from camera, but not *directly* away
 }
 face_indices {
  1,
  <0,1,2>
 }
 texture {
  pigment {rgb 1}
 }
}

Pictures will be posted momentarily in p.b-t.b.

RC5, WinXP, 900mhz P3 (i think), 256MB RAM

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message