POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Smooth mesh2 artifacts : Re: Smooth mesh2 artifacts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth mesh2 artifacts
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 May 2002 03:38:01
Message: <3cf48559@news.povray.org>
In article <3cf47cbf@news.povray.org> , "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:

> I was under the impression that double_illuminate was merely a workaround.
> It looks to me like there's something physically unrealistic here that
> deserves some attention. If it's not going to be fixed before the 3.5
> release, then that's alright, but if it *is* a bug, then it should at least
> be recognized as so.

No, you simply create a normal vector that point in the wrong direction.
POV-Ray allows you to specify any garbage as normal vector while normal
modeling software usually protects you from creating such garbage.

Add this to your scene to see the normal vectors.  To help you see the problem
with the normal vector there is a small yellow "vector" that is perpendicular
to the blue "vector":

cylinder
{
 -x, -x + y, 0.1