POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Warwick Barnes
Subject: Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash
Date: 26 Feb 2002 20:47:51
Message: <3c7c3ac7$1@news.povray.org>
G'day,

When runnning PovRay Beta 11 on Windows 2000 SP2, the following code
produces either

1. A normal PovRay "explected float constant" error
2. Endless "Unable to allocate memory for message string" dialog boxes
3. A crash and instant exit from PovRay

It's hard to tell which particular effect will occur ... I just run the
script a few times and it soon crashes.

If I remove the #debug line from the following code, it no longer crashes...

// Crash PovRay Beta 11 on Win2K
//
#declare Result = vnormalize(<0, 0, 0>);
#debug "Hello!\n"
#fopen Test_File "test-bug.tmp" write
#write (Test_File, Result)
#fclose Test_File
#fopen Test_File "test-bug.tmp" read
#read (Test_File, A_Variable)
#fclose Test_File

Post a reply to this message

On WinXP here, using the beta.11.icl.win32 which i suppose you also are
using, I get the tmp file opened showing:
<-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND>

Removing the #debug line has no effect that I can see.

bob h

"Warwick Barnes" <war### [at] barnesquinncom> wrote in message

> When runnning PovRay Beta 11 on Windows 2000 SP2, the following code
> produces either
>
> 1. A normal PovRay "explected float constant" error
> 2. Endless "Unable to allocate memory for message string" dialog boxes
> 3. A crash and instant exit from PovRay
>
> If I remove the #debug line from the following code, it no longer
crashes...

Post a reply to this message

>When runnning PovRay Beta 11 on Windows 2000 SP2, the following code
>produces either
>
>1. A normal PovRay "explected float constant" error
>2. Endless "Unable to allocate memory for message string" dialog boxes
>3. A crash and instant exit from PovRay

>#declare Result = vnormalize(<0, 0, 0>);

There's the problem -- normalizing the zero vector is not defined.

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

> >When runnning PovRay Beta 11 on Windows 2000 SP2, the following code
> >produces either
> >
> >1. A normal PovRay "explected float constant" error
> >2. Endless "Unable to allocate memory for message string" dialog boxes
> >3. A crash and instant exit from PovRay
>
> >#declare Result = vnormalize(<0, 0, 0>);
>
> There's the problem -- normalizing the zero vector is not defined.

Yes, but IIRC it was legal to normalize
a zero vector in v3.1g. You would just
get a zero vector as the result.

It seems that this is a change that will
break backward compatibility for some
scenes.

My opinion is that this change in behaviour
should be mentioned in the docs. And I also
think that a better error message should be
issued.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message