POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash : Re: Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 11 vnormalize/#debug/#read crash
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Feb 2002 03:00:19
Message: <3C7C917B.A5950615@hotmail.com>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Warwick Barnes wrote in message <3c7c3ac7$1@news.povray.org>...
> >When runnning PovRay Beta 11 on Windows 2000 SP2, the following code
> >produces either
> >
> >1. A normal PovRay "explected float constant" error
> >2. Endless "Unable to allocate memory for message string" dialog boxes
> >3. A crash and instant exit from PovRay
>
> >#declare Result = vnormalize(<0, 0, 0>);
>
> There's the problem -- normalizing the zero vector is not defined.

Yes, but IIRC it was legal to normalize
a zero vector in v3.1g. You would just
get a zero vector as the result.

It seems that this is a change that will
break backward compatibility for some
scenes.

My opinion is that this change in behaviour
should be mentioned in the docs. And I also
think that a better error message should be
issued.

Tor Olav