POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : IsoCacti.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:54 EDT (-0400)
  IsoCacti.pov (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: IsoCacti.pov
Date: 1 Dec 2001 16:31:56
Message: <3c094c4c$1@news.povray.org>

3c0942f8@news.povray.org...
> It does this only if the gradient found was really zero, which can i.e. be
> the case if there was no intersection.  I will adjust the warning message
> ignore such cases, yet.

But the fact that the warning message happens even when a max_gradient is
given by the user is still a bug, isn't it ? Or am I confused about the
purpose of the warning ? Like JRG I was a bit surprised to see my current
scene output hundreds of (useless in this case) iso warnings...

> That Gilles can't turn off the warning with -GW is also not correct,
> however, there is a much better workaround than - GA in section 5.2.5.4 of
> the documentation, which explains the warning level option.  Hopefully
> Gilles has found it by now...

Well, thanks a lot, warning level 0 works.
I'm still wondering at the difference between -GW (turn console display of
warning text off), and WL0 (turns off all warnings), though... -GW should
work, at least, since it's working for #warning, or am I (again) totally
confused by what the text streams mean ? It's true that I never spent much
time investigating this part of Povray as it seemed quite straightforward.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
> e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> But the fact that the warning message happens even when a max_gradient is
> given by the user is still a bug, isn't it ? Or am I confused about the
> purpose of the warning ?

As explained in my response to JRG only the output of 0.0 is a bug.  For
details about the message and relating changes, see the thread 'beta 8' in
p.pre-beta.

> I'm still wondering at the difference between -GW (turn console display of
> warning text off), and WL0 (turns off all warnings), though... -GW should
> work, at least, since it's working for #warning, or am I (again) totally
> confused by what the text streams mean ? It's true that I never spent much
> time investigating this part of Povray as it seemed quite straightforward.

No, as I noted in my previous response to JRG, there is a problem.  In short
lets just say POV-Ray does not expect any text stream outputs after
rendering is complete and it would reset the user settings prior to
releasing memory of the scene.  However, that is exactly the time when
isosurfaces check the maximum gradient and output it if necessary...