POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Subject: Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl
Date: 30 Oct 2001 16:35:13
Message: <3bdf1d11@news.povray.org>
Hi!

There seems to be something wrong with the Intel compile. The scene I'm
working on took about 6 minutes to compute photons (count 200000) under beta
6. With beta 7 it took over 20 minutes until the status bar showed something
like "this=500 total= 10454 ..." (values might vary a bit). The msvc version
seems to be a bit faster, but it's running at the moment, so I don't know
yet for sure. It displays "this=400, total 6189" after 7 minutes.

Can someone else verify this? Please don't say I have to wait a month (or
even more) to use photons again!

Marc-Hendrik

Post a reply to this message

I'm still using my PII 450, 128 MB and Pov beta 7 (both compiles) :-)

Post a reply to this message

"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote...
> Hi!
>
> There seems to be something wrong with the Intel compile. The scene I'm
> working on took about 6 minutes to compute photons (count 200000) under
beta
> 6. With beta 7 it took over 20 minutes until the status bar showed
something
> like "this=500 total= 10454 ..." (values might vary a bit). The msvc
version
> seems to be a bit faster, but it's running at the moment, so I don't know
> yet for sure. It displays "this=400, total 6189" after 7 minutes.
>
> Can someone else verify this? Please don't say I have to wait a month (or
> even more) to use photons again!

Does your scene contain isosurfaces?  How does render time compare with
photons disabled?  (Photons are simply rays traced into the scene from the
light sources, so the problem may be caused by slower ray-intersection
tests.)

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:19:33 -0500, "Nathan Kopp" <nat### [at] koppcom>
wrote:

>Does your scene contain isosurfaces?  How does render time compare with
>photons disabled?  (Photons are simply rays traced into the scene from the
>light sources, so the problem may be caused by slower ray-intersection
>tests.)

But Nathan, Marc wrote that the same render was three times faster
with beta 6. Maybe it has to do with the iso changes in the core?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:47:51 +0200, Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

>But Nathan, Marc wrote that the same render was three times faster
>with beta 6. Maybe it has to do with the iso changes in the core?

Sorry about the wild guessing bit, apparently Thorsten attributes it
to evaluate.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg