POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl : Re: Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons extremly slow under beta 7 icl
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 31 Oct 2001 02:59:00
Message: <3bdfaf44@news.povray.org>
Nathan Kopp schrieb in Nachricht <3bdf431e@news.povray.org>...

>"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote...
>Does your scene contain isosurfaces?  How does render time compare with
>photons disabled?  (Photons are simply rays traced into the scene from the
>light sources, so the problem may be caused by slower ray-intersection
>tests.)
>
>-Nathan

Hi!

Yes, there is one Iso in the scene, but evaluate is not used. The rendertime
even without photons is way up. The scene used to render in about half an
hour (34 min IIRC). Yesterday I stooped it after 1h 5min. It renders about
1/3 of the image (640x480 pixel). The Isosurface is further "down" the image
and the upper part used to be the faster one. I would estimate that this
render takes about 7 to 8 times as long.

I hoped that there are just some debug options left on in this beta, but it
seems it's not this trivial.

Marc-Hendrik