POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  #error bug (Message 14 to 23 of 43)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: #error bug
Date: 21 Oct 2001 05:32:20
Message: <3bd29624@news.povray.org>
In article <3bd28879@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   And this does not look like an error message given by POV-Ray itself.

To whom?  The 1% of very advanced users who know each and every error
message POV-Ray can generate?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Adrien Beau
Date: 21 Oct 2001 05:50:36
Message: <3BD29A65.B4B44C@free.fr>
Some OS, like VMS, prepend a string to the error that indicates
the application that emits the error, its severity, and a short
error code so that users can look into the index of the manuals.
The remainder of the line is occupied by the actual error message.

POV-Ray could also do that on a very much limited scope. You
could add [POV error] and [POV warning] at the beginning of errors
generated by POV-Ray and [Scripted error] and [Scripted warning]
at the beginning of lines generated by directives. Granted, this
is a bit too verbose, but you get the idea.

You'd still have people who would come complain wrongly, but hey,
they don't even read any error messages, so you could as well
output random error messages for them.

--
Adrien Beau   adr### [at] freefr   http://adrien.beau.free.fr/

Post a reply to this message