POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug : Re: #error bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #error bug
From: Rune
Date: 21 Oct 2001 05:52:43
Message: <3bd29aeb@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> And note that the documentation says nothing about actually
> outputting the string behind the error message.

That's complete nonsense. From the documentation:

"There are seven distinct text streams that POV-Ray uses for output. You may
output only to three of them."

One of those is the #error stream. So the documentation does say that
POV-Ray outputs the string after the #error directive.

Here's some more from the documentation:

"The syntax for a text message is any of the following:

TEXT_STREAM_DIRECTIVE:
    #debug STRING | #error STRING | #warning STRING

Where STRING is any valid string of text including string identifiers or
functions which return strings."

So once and for all, it's clear that the #error stream is supposed to take
any string, including string identifiers or functions which return strings.

But it doesn't. That's a bug!

> You generate output to the error stream in form of the
> line quoted by the "<-- Error" message which dumps the
> line with the error message.

Right now that's the behavior, but that's clearly not the way it's supposed
to behave. It doesn't take string identifiers or functions which return
strings. It's a bug I tell you! What does it take to convince you???

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)