POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Mac Beta 10 issues Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Mac Beta 10 issues (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Josh English
Subject: Mac Beta 10 issues
Date: 18 Jan 2002 16:02:44
Message: <3C488D32.D198DD54@spiritone.com>
1. This was a strange one. I made an include file with all of my scene
components, including the camera, and when I rendered this scene, it
gave me a satisfactory image. I then commented out the camera in the
include scene, included the whole scene into another file (I'll be doing
a lot this on this project) and added the exact same camera defintion
that was in the include file. The camera was not in the same place the
second time around. After a quit and restart both scenes rendered the
same way. It was almost like the data for the location of camera in the
include file was being stored somewhere and not being overwritten. No
big deal. I attribute it to iMac gremlins

2. The template menu doesn't load. I never knew how much I used it until
it was gone. I checked the preference to load the template menu
automatically and it didn't work. I can't test trashing prefs and
restarting because of...

3. Every time I launch POV-Ray my system gives me a -18 error. (Driver Can't
respond to Status Call). The text of the error message is "The
Application "POV-Ray Mac 3.5" could be opened because "POV-Ray Mac 3.5"
could be found (-18)."

All on a G3 233Mhz iMac running OS 9.2.1

I'm trying to find some information on this error, because I do suspect
my system is part of the problem. Rebuilding the desktop doesn't take
care of it. POV-Ray 3.5 won't run with extensions off (it tells me that
various libraries cannot be found)

I'm stumped, and sadly, not tracing anything in 3.5 for a while.

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom
http://www.spiritone.com/~english

Post a reply to this message

> 2. The template menu doesn't load. I never knew how much I used it until
> it was gone. I checked the preference to load the template menu
> automatically and it didn't work. I can't test trashing prefs and
> restarting because of...

Did you take a look at the Mac beta download page?  It would help...

> 3. Every time I launch POV-Ray my system gives me a -18 error. (Driver Can't
> respond to Status Call). The text of the error message is "The
> Application "POV-Ray Mac 3.5" could be opened because "POV-Ray Mac 3.5"
> could be found (-18)."

> I'm trying to find some information on this error, because I do suspect
> my system is part of the problem.

Did you try to re-install your system?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > 2. The template menu doesn't load. I never knew how much I used it until
> > it was gone. I checked the preference to load the template menu
> > automatically and it didn't work. I can't test trashing prefs and
> > restarting because of...
>
> Did you take a look at the Mac beta download page?  It would help...

It loaded in Beta 9. I knew I couldn't edit it in any way, but the menu
only has the first few items and they are all greyed out. If the
template menu doens't come up on your machine at all in Beta 10, then
the page should say so, IMHO.

> > 3. Every time I launch POV-Ray my system gives me a -18 error. (Driver Can't
> > respond to Status Call). The text of the error message is "The
> > Application "POV-Ray Mac 3.5" could be opened because "POV-Ray Mac 3.5"
> > could be found (-18)."
>
> > I'm trying to find some information on this error, because I do suspect
> > my system is part of the problem.
>
> Did you try to re-install your system?

System was installed fresh with a brand new hard drive (20 Gig to
replace the 4 Gig that I had). I've got disk first aid and Norton
running all the time. I am positive that this is the system because
MegaPov 0.7, POV 3.5, and my Python apps are giving me the same error. I
can't find anything on Apple's site that helps me trouble shoot this
one, and I am beginning to suspect that OS 9.2.2 doens't like a 20 Gig
drive that isn't partitioned down.

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom
http://www.spiritone.com/~english

Post a reply to this message

> It loaded in Beta 9. I knew I couldn't edit it in any way, but the menu
> only has the first few items and they are all greyed out. If the
> template menu doens't come up on your machine at all in Beta 10, then
> the page should say so, IMHO.

Oh, it is there, but you do need CarbonLib 1.5 to see it because it fixes
many bugs in system functions the code depends on.  That is why the download
page suggests to install CarbonLib 1.5.

>  Norton
> running all the time.

And if you turn it off?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > It loaded in Beta 9. I knew I couldn't edit it in any way, but the menu
> > only has the first few items and they are all greyed out. If the
> > template menu doens't come up on your machine at all in Beta 10, then
> > the page should say so, IMHO.
>
> Oh, it is there, but you do need CarbonLib 1.5 to see it because it fixes
> many bugs in system functions the code depends on.  That is why the download
> page suggests to install CarbonLib 1.5.
>
> >  Norton
> > running all the time.
>
> And if you turn it off?

Thanks for putting up wiht me Thorsten. The Mac OS 9.2.2 and 9.2.1
installers don't have an uninstall option, so I installed OS 9 and 9.1
into a new system folder and deleted the old stuff. If I remove
CarbonLib 1.5 and replace 1.4,POV-Ray 3.5 opens, but the template menu
is still grey.