POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Scattering types: Rayleigh and Henyey-Greenstein unavailable? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 06:43:18 EDT (-0400)
  Scattering types: Rayleigh and Henyey-Greenstein unavailable? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: michaelafsjaelland
Subject: Scattering types: Rayleigh and Henyey-Greenstein unavailable?
Date: 11 Jul 2019 05:50:01
Message: <web.5d2705317b6466a05c73ad760@news.povray.org>
Hi POV folks
Version 3.7
I'm experimenting with media scattering types, and according to the pov
documentation there are 5, viz., (1) Isotropic, (2) Mie Haze, (3) Mie Murky, (4)
Rayleigh, and (5) Henyey-Greenstein. However, POV-ray returns an error when I
specify (4) or (5), reporting that only types 1-3 are valid.

Is this a known issue or am I missing something?

Any help much appreciated!

Michael

Post a reply to this message

Le 19-07-11 à 05:46, michaelafsjaelland a écrit :
> Hi POV folks
> Version 3.7
> I'm experimenting with media scattering types, and according to the pov
> documentation there are 5, viz., (1) Isotropic, (2) Mie Haze, (3) Mie Murky, (4)
> Rayleigh, and (5) Henyey-Greenstein. However, POV-ray returns an error when I
> specify (4) or (5), reporting that only types 1-3 are valid.
>
> Is this a known issue or am I missing something?
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> Michael

I used both 4 and 5 with version 3.7. Looks like there is an issue with
your install.
Did you compile POV-Ray ?

Post a reply to this message

> Le 19-07-11 à 05:46, michaelafsjaelland a écrit :
>> Hi POV folks
>> Version 3.7
>> I'm experimenting with media scattering types, and according to the pov
>> documentation there are 5, viz., (1) Isotropic, (2) Mie Haze, (3) Mie
>> Murky, (4)
>> Rayleigh, and (5) Henyey-Greenstein. However, POV-ray returns an error
>> when I
>> specify (4) or (5), reporting that only types 1-3 are valid.
>>
>> Is this a known issue or am I missing something?
>>
>> Any help much appreciated!
>>
>> Michael
>>

> I used both 4 and 5 with version 3.7. Looks like there is an issue with
> your install.
> Did you compile POV-Ray ?

Looking at parser_materials.cpp in 3.8, and parstxtr.cpp in 3.7-stable,
the scattering is bound to 1 to SCATTERING_TYPES which is 5.

The warning message is "Unknown atmospheric scattering type.".

The scattering type should appears as XXX in
"scattering { XXX , COLOR "

The restriction 1, 2, or 3 is for the method (of sampling), and should
appears as XXX in
"method XXX"

Post a reply to this message

> > Le 19-07-11 à 05:46, michaelafsjaelland a écrit :
> >> Hi POV folks
> >> Version 3.7
> >> I'm experimenting with media scattering types, and according to the pov
> >> documentation there are 5, viz., (1) Isotropic, (2) Mie Haze, (3) Mie
> >> Murky, (4)
> >> Rayleigh, and (5) Henyey-Greenstein. However, POV-ray returns an error
> >> when I
> >> specify (4) or (5), reporting that only types 1-3 are valid.
> >>
> >> Is this a known issue or am I missing something?
> >>
> >> Any help much appreciated!
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>

> > I used both 4 and 5 with version 3.7. Looks like there is an issue with
> > your install.
> > Did you compile POV-Ray ?
>
> Looking at parser_materials.cpp in 3.8, and parstxtr.cpp in 3.7-stable,
> the scattering is bound to 1 to SCATTERING_TYPES which is 5.
>
> The warning message is "Unknown atmospheric scattering type.".
>
> The scattering type should appears as XXX in
> "scattering { XXX , COLOR "
>
> The restriction 1, 2, or 3 is for the method (of sampling), and should
> appears as XXX in
> "method XXX"

Thanks for helping to clear this up. I hadn't realised the
distinction between sampling method and scattering{}. Much appreciated!