POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Proposal for animation game / competition Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Proposal for animation game / competition (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Proposal for animation game / competition
Date: 29 Mar 2006 21:55:00
Message: <web.442b476d4efa66e7a461adc20@news.povray.org>
The_Field: a square of <0,0,0> to <10,0,10> on the y=0 plane.

The_Ball: an object that has these properties:
   i) #declare The_Ball= box{<0,0,0>,<0.5,0.5,0.5>}
   ii) it's randomly placed in a manner such that its volume is entirely
contained within a box{0,<10,1,10>}, and rotated, i.e.,
     rotate 360*rand(R)*y   translate <0.25+9.5*rand(R),0,0.25+9.5*rand(R)>
   iii) considered dense and rigid with "really high" kinetic coefficient of
friction with the ground.

The_Goal: a box{0,1} centered at <0,0,-10>

The_Actor: your SDL programming genius, technical and artistic.  Its "base"
if any has to start at a position of Z>0 and outside The_Field.

Object of game: write a file such that it renders your Actor starting
outside The_Field, figuring out where The_Ball is, and transporting its
center of mass (any rotation) to the x, z coordinates of The_Goal in an
intelligent and reasonable fashion. You should reasonably account for the
physics on a cube of whatever you do to it. Fair play would involve not
making access to the actual position of The_Ball as a variable, but fair
play wouldn't frown upon a gazillion trace calls against The_Ball. (If
you're making a gazillion trace calls, try to animate something that
visually represents this information-gathering process-- is it a dwarf
walking around with a laser, or what?)

Examples of Actors:
a) One of the simplest ways to move The_Ball might be with a big,
boring-looking wedge made out of two rectangular boxes that come along and
push the cube into the goal. But you gotta be able to program a realistic
view of what happens when your wedge bumps into the box-- it's probably at
least going to rotate.

b) A hundred photorealistic basset hounds, modelled in Blender, walk
sniffing through the field and when they bump into it, bark until a flying
eagle swoops over, picks it up, and takes it to The_Goal.

c) An extended robot arm with multiple elbows gropes around the field until
it finds the box, picks it up, and carries to The_Goal.

Just an idea.

Post a reply to this message