POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Plant System Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Plant System (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Gena
Subject: Plant System
Date: 5 Nov 2005 04:30:00
Message: <web.436c7a9e2f60be0cea7ea00e0@news.povray.org>
Winter is coming. It's a good time for a group project.
Is there anybody who would be interested to participate
in developing the most advanced plant system ever created?
Just kidding :) And now seriously.

After implementing POV-Tree program I still have a lot of
ideas for plant generating system which are not there. I
think only now I understand how it should look like :) Some
of those ideas I cannot implement myself just because I don't
have enough knowledge in that area. The others are just too big
for one person etc.

I guess you also have many ideas but never had a time
or knowledge to implement it.

So, the idea is to develop POV-Ray oriented plant system
which could cover all or almost all plants - real and
imaginative. It could include generators for grass, flowers,
bushes, trees. It could also include different plants
distribution algoritms/scripts.

All that development we could make on dedicated web-site
which could keep some kind of forum for sharing ideas
and code plus gallery for displaying the results of that
development. It could also have repository for scripts,
textures, ready-to-use models.

So, if you are interested in such development and if you
have good knowledge in POV-Ray scripting, trigonometry,
splines, advanced 3D algoritms let me know just replying
to this message in this forum and we will discuss details.
Even if you don't have any mentioned skills but have a
patience to scan a lot of high-resolution leaves textures
or can write a good documentation you are also welcomed :)

The project is POV-Ray oriented (scripts and only scripts)
and is not commercial. Probably later on we can think
about some kind of GUI.

Post a reply to this message