POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : no_shadow no_reflection question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  no_shadow no_reflection question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Carl
Subject: no_shadow no_reflection question
Date: 18 Oct 2004 23:15:01
Message: <web.41748606ae16b2b6d52696ef0@news.povray.org>
I was trying to outline some shapes.  For example lets take a sphere:

sphere {<100, 120, -85>,75 texture {clear_black}}

The trick I was given was this:

sphere {<100,120,-85>,85 texture {pigment {rgbt 1}}
                         interior_texture {red_frame}}

Its what you see in the top left here:

http://www.wwwmwww.com/TRON/Outline.png

I soon learned I had to use the no_shadow flag to get what I wanted however.
And it wasn't till receintly I noticed something else was missing.  The
reflection of the grid lines are gone from the black sphere.  To get these
back I need to use the no_reflection flag as well.  However when I do that
I lose the outline of my black sphere as seen in any reflection.

Ideally what I'd like to do is to say the larger r=85 sphere doesn't cast a
shadow or is seen in any reflection inside it however it does cast a shadow
and leaves reflections outside it.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

>I was trying to outline some shapes.  For example lets take a sphere:
>
>sphere {<100, 120, -85>,75 texture {clear_black}}
>
>The trick I was given was this:
>
>sphere {<100,120,-85>,85 texture {pigment {rgbt 1}}
>                         interior_texture {red_frame}}
>
>Its what you see in the top left here:
>
>http://www.wwwmwww.com/TRON/Outline.png
>
>I soon learned I had to use the no_shadow flag to get what I wanted however.
>And it wasn't till receintly I noticed something else was missing.  The
>reflection of the grid lines are gone from the black sphere.  To get these
>back I need to use the no_reflection flag as well.  However when I do that
>I lose the outline of my black sphere as seen in any reflection.
>
>Ideally what I'd like to do is to say the larger r=85 sphere doesn't cast a
>shadow or is seen in any reflection inside it however it does cast a shadow
>and leaves reflections outside it.
>
>Is there any way to do that?

I've played around with it for a while and have become convinced that
the answer is no. You either have to think of a completely new method
for outlining the shapes, live with the problems that you've got or
reduce the opacity of the outline shapes so that some of the reflections
can get through.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure