POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : benchmark vs Povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  benchmark vs Povray? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: PhysSim
Subject: benchmark vs Povray?
Date: 2 Oct 2004 17:25:01
Message: <web.415f1bc0269616e3d59726e40@news.povray.org>
Hi,

my problem is slightly off-topic but I guess you're the best people to ask
for help... Actually, I already tried the 'general' section but to no avail.
:-(

I am currently developing a physical simulator for gas transport and surface
chemistry is sub-micron features. At such scales gas-transport is pretty
much collisionless, i.e. particles collide with walls much more often than
with each other -> ballistic particle flux. To my understanding this is -
apart from the nature of particles - very similar to photon tracking or
mapping...?

While my code gives correct results (cross-checked with view factor), I
don't know how fast my tracer is, compared to the state of the art. Now I
have several questions:

1) what I want to do is to sample the number of ray/triangle intersections
for a number of geometries. Is Povray capable of doing so and, if yes, is
it a good benchmark (=fast)?
2) if yes, is there anyone out in the povray universe, who could help me
setting up the input files - PLEASE!?
3) if not, what is the fastest photon tracker (mapper) publicly available
which allows such a benchmark?

Ah yes, two more things before you all volunteer ;-)  The structures are
closed, except for a small opening -> MANY reflections (several 1e4-1e5).
And is there a way to read in geometries as a list of triangles?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!

Greetings from Bavaria, Georg Icking-Konert

Post a reply to this message

> my problem is slightly off-topic but I guess you're the best people to ask
> for help... Actually, I already tried the 'general' section but to no avail.
> :-(
>
> I am currently developing a physical simulator for gas transport and surface
> chemistry is sub-micron features. At such scales gas-transport is pretty
> much collisionless, i.e. particles collide with walls much more often than
> with each other -> ballistic particle flux. To my understanding this is -
> apart from the nature of particles - very similar to photon tracking or
> mapping...?
>
> While my code gives correct results (cross-checked with view factor), I
> don't know how fast my tracer is, compared to the state of the art. Now I
> have several questions:
>
> 1) what I want to do is to sample the number of ray/triangle intersections
> for a number of geometries. Is Povray capable of doing so and, if yes, is
> it a good benchmark (=fast)?
> 2) if yes, is there anyone out in the povray universe, who could help me
> setting up the input files - PLEASE!?
> 3) if not, what is the fastest photon tracker (mapper) publicly available
> which allows such a benchmark?
>
> Ah yes, two more things before you all volunteer ;-)  The structures are
> closed, except for a small opening -> MANY reflections (several 1e4-1e5).
> And is there a way to read in geometries as a list of triangles?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!
>
> Greetings from Bavaria, Georg Icking-Konert

I don't know if a raytracer is the program you need. Povray creates
pictures calculating pictures showing what hits your eye. Reflections on
surfaces build a still image. As i understood you you want to create a
animation of reflection. That is possible in povray, too, but with a lot
of codewriting and so on.

It is possible to use triangles in Povray, with a little coding you can
convert triangle-files like stl to pov. I have written some programs to
do this. You can download the progs at
http://www.killozap.de/DOWNLOAD/download.html .
The lates stl2pov is not ready and is written in java, it can be run on
almost any platform, windows and mac tested so far.
The stl-format is a common format for rapid prototyping and many
cad-programs can export these files.

Hartmut