POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : IHow do i squirl an Object? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  IHow do i squirl an Object? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: nomail
Subject: IHow do i squirl an Object?
Date: 25 Jul 2004 13:00:01
Message: <web.4103e6bad7961a28c014e2840@news.povray.org>
Difficult to explain without images ;-)

Please have a look at
http://rustedtech.homelinux.net/fileadmin/Files/Twisting.png (only 3.9kB).
This is an ontop view of my needs.

What i am searching for is a function to bend from the inner circle to the
outer circle, not along an axis (what makes "bend.inc" inkompatible for my
needs).

Has anyone got an idea how i can do this, or, even better, a macro?

Greets, qeldroma

Post a reply to this message

> 3.9kB). This is an ontop view of my needs.
>
> What i am searching for is a function to bend from the inner circle to
> the outer circle, not along an axis (what makes "bend.inc"
> inkompatible for my needs).
>
> Has anyone got an idea how i can do this, or, even better, a macro?

With a mesh, you could get some inspiration for a patch looking at
http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html

beware: Site is in french, and provided code is for 3.1g!

Looks like "roll" is what you might be looking for.

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.

Post a reply to this message

> What i am searching for is a function to bend from the inner circle to the
> outer circle, not along an axis (what makes "bend.inc" inkompatible for my
> needs).
>
> Has anyone got an idea how i can do this, or, even better, a macro?
>
> Greets, qeldroma

What I think you are looking for can be done with a parametric surface:

// Parametric variable form

#declare uMin = 0; // Minimum u value
#declare uMax = pi; // Maximum u value
#declare uNum = 73; // Number of points in u direction
#declare uWrap = 0; // u wraps around if != 0
#declare uSeed = 9135; // Random number seed for u parameter

#declare vMin = 0; // Minimum v value
#declare vMax = radians(355); // Maximum v value
#declare vNum = 72; // Number of points in v direction
#declare vWrap = 1; // v wraps around if != 0
#declare vSeed = 2252; // Random number seed for v parameter

#declare IsRnd = false; // True if random number used
#declare IsUV = true; // True if uv-mapping used
#declare Smooth = 0; // Smooth flag

#declare Detail = "Partial"
/* Detail values
  Verbose = Line by line details
  Partial = Operations only
  Other = Filename only
*/

/* For all macro functions
 i = Current value of u parameter
 j = Current value of v parameter
 p = Current value of u variance (0...1)
 q = Current value of v variance (0...1)
*/

// Optional functions

// point function
#macro pnt(i, j, p, q)
    #local ptBase = <sin(i)*cos(j),cos(i),sin(i)*sin(j)*10>;
    #local ptRad = vlength(ptBase);
    #local ptAng = 90/ptRad;
    vrotate(ptBase,y*ptAng)
#end

This should come close to making one of your two twisted bars.