POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Topology Creation With Isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Topology Creation With Isosurfaces (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: J  F  Miller
Subject: Topology Creation With Isosurfaces
Date: 20 Dec 2003 15:10:01
Message: <web.3fe4ab98b5d249e8dc91af650@news.povray.org>
Greetings all,

I am trying to create a scene with some rather specific topology, a two
tiered waterfall to be exact.  The idea is to build a structure between the
two tiers.  What that means is I need to have somewhat precise control over
the topology, which intern means that using a fractal height field is out.

cannot quite figure out how it was done.

In particular, I am not clear how to take the spine function and sweep out
the hill. If someone could describe this process (or even better post a
code snippet) I would be most grateful.

Also, I suspect that what I want to can be done with height fields[3], but I
have yet to find a technique or tool that allows for control over the
topology.  If as an alternative someone could point me to a good tutorial
on creating height fields of this kind, I would also appreciate that.

JFMILLER

[1] http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/asia/index.html
[2] http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/asia/making.html
    I need help getting from the second image to the first and third
[3] http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-10-31/fijigolf.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/gmccarter/Vuaqava/index.html

See Also:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/2381/
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/22789/

Post a reply to this message

Ok, for some reason the first two references got lost

1:  http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/asia/index.html

2:  http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/asia/making.html

Post a reply to this message

> In particular, I am not clear how to take the spine function and sweep out
> the hill. If someone could describe this process (or even better post a
> code snippet) I would be most grateful.

Maybe have a look here :

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/more.htm#spline

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to create a scene with some rather specific topology, a two

> tiered waterfall to be exact.  The idea is to build a structure between
 the
> two tiers.  What that means is I need to have somewhat precise control
over
> the topology, which intern means that using a fractal height field is o
ut.

i La

hink the

but I
> cannot quite figure out how it was done.

A description how to use spline functions in isosurfaces can be found in

Mike's isosurface tutorial.

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/more.htm

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______