POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Terrain with image map? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Terrain with image map? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Erf Merf
Subject: Terrain with image map?
Date: 24 Oct 2002 03:20:03
Message: <web.3db79dfcf6ec25bcd2adf70@news.povray.org>
I am creating an intro animation for a game I'm working on and thought it
would be cool to have a fly-by or fly-around of the main continent in the
game.  I used a height feild to create the terrain as a simply greyscale
image, then colorize that image as a sort of "skin" for my height field.  I
couldn't find any documentation on this anywhere and attempted to use a
image map which didn't work.  Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

// uses image color index as height, extends along X-Z axes
// from <0 0 0> to <1 1 1>
height_field {
  png "plasma3.png"
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map { png "plasma3.png" map_type 0 interpolate 2 once }
      rotate x*90 // lay X-Y image map down onto X-Z height field plane
    }
  }
}

All the best,

Andy Cocker

"Erf Merf" <erf### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I am creating an intro animation for a game I'm working on and thought it
> would be cool to have a fly-by or fly-around of the main continent in the
> game.  I used a height feild to create the terrain as a simply greyscale
> image, then colorize that image as a sort of "skin" for my height field.  I
> couldn't find any documentation on this anywhere and attempted to use a
> image map which didn't work.  Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

Marvelous!  Its a shame I forgot about the x*90 rotation... that makes
sense... in a creepy sort of way.... thanx for all the help!

~Andrew

..Nice name =)