POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Clouds (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Chris Becker
Subject: Clouds
Date: 3 Mar 2002 22:29:35
Message: <3c82ea1f$1@news.povray.org>
Alright, I've got some really neat looking clouds using the stacked planes
method, but it only looks good at lower resolutions. So when I increase the
resolution, I increase the number of layers. However, when I get to the
point of over 100 or so layers, POV-Ray says: Too many nested refraction
objects. I assume this has something to do with stack overflows from the
recursion?

Is there anyway around this? If I decrease the max_trace_level, I get black
sillouts of the disc object, but if I don't have enough disks, you can see
the individual layers. Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Becker" <cmb### [at] ritedu> wrote in message
> point of over 100 or so layers, POV-Ray says: Too many nested refraction
> objects. I assume this has something to do with stack overflows from the
> recursion?
>
> Is there anyway around this? If I decrease the max_trace_level, I get
black
> sillouts of the disc object, but if I don't have enough disks, you can see
> the individual layers. Any ideas?

There is a work-around.  Use very thin cylinders (however infinitely thin is
impossible).  It seems to be a limitation with infinite objects of which
disc and plane are two such things.
I don't know the reason for it or if there's a setting that will circumvent
this error.

bob h

Post a reply to this message

 "Chris Becker" <cmb### [at] ritedu> wrote:

> Alright, I've got some really neat looking clouds using the stacked planes
> method, but it only looks good at lower resolutions. So when I increase the
> resolution, I increase the number of layers. However, when I get to the
> point of over 100 or so layers, POV-Ray says: Too many nested refraction
> objects. I assume this has something to do with stack overflows from the
> recursion?

Planes only have one surface, so POV never exits a layer, and it sees
all the layers as being nested. Use an object which the ray will
eventually exit, like a box. The box will simulate two planes, halving
the number of objects used for the clouds, and will be better bounded
than planes.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Wow, it was that simple, it worked better than great!

Thanks a bunch!