POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Mar 2002 00:35:16
Message: <chrishuff-7E2D75.00352004032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c82ea1f$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Chris Becker" <cmb### [at] ritedu> wrote:

> Alright, I've got some really neat looking clouds using the stacked planes
> method, but it only looks good at lower resolutions. So when I increase the
> resolution, I increase the number of layers. However, when I get to the
> point of over 100 or so layers, POV-Ray says: Too many nested refraction
> objects. I assume this has something to do with stack overflows from the
> recursion?

Planes only have one surface, so POV never exits a layer, and it sees
all the layers as being nested. Use an object which the ray will
eventually exit, like a box. The box will simulate two planes, halving
the number of objects used for the clouds, and will be better bounded
than planes.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/