POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up media Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:37:46 EDT (-0400)
  Speeding up media (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Speeding up media
Date: 5 Feb 2021 05:59:14
Message: <601d2502$1@news.povray.org>
I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up? Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Speeding up media
Date: 5 Feb 2021 05:59:53
Message: <601d2529$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2021 5:59 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
> interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up? Thanks.
>

> Mike

Here is the media:

// atmosphere
#declare RWorld_Atmos_Color_Scatter	= <0.1, 0.3, 1.0>;
#declare RWorld_Atmos_Color_Absorb	= <0.9, 0.7, 0.0>;		// should be the
inverse of RWorld_Atmos_Color_Scatter
#declare RWorld_Atmosphere_Object = difference
{
	cylinder {<0,+RWorld_Ring_Width/2,0>,		<0,-RWorld_Ring_Width/2,0>,
RWorld_Ring_Radius - 1}	//
	cylinder {<0,+RWorld_Ring_Width/2 + 1,0>,	<0,-RWorld_Ring_Width/2 -
1,0>,	RWorld_Ring_Radius - RWorld_Atmosphere_Height}
	bounded_by
	{
		cylinder {<0,+RWorld_Ring_Width/2,0>,		<0,-RWorld_Ring_Width/2,0>,
RWorld_Ring_Radius - 1}
	}
	hollow
	material
	{
		texture
		{
			pigment {rgbt 1}
		}
		interior
		{
			media
			{
				scattering
				{
					4, RWorld_Atmos_Color_Scatter
				}
				density
				{
					// Reverse: It starts at 1.0 at the origin and decreases to a
minimum value of 0.0 as it approaches a distance of 1 unit from the Y axis.
					function {1-f_cylindrical(x,y,z)}
					density_map
					{
						[0 rgb 0/10]
						[1-RWorld_Atmosphere_Height/RWorld_Ring_Radius rgb 0/10]
						[1 rgb 1/10]
					}
					scale RWorld_Ring_Radius
				}
			}
			media
			{
				absorption RWorld_Atmos_Color_Absorb
				density
				{
					function {1-f_cylindrical(x,y,z)}
					density_map
					{
						[0 rgb 0/10]
						[1-RWorld_Atmosphere_Height/RWorld_Ring_Radius rgb 0/10]
						[1 rgb 1/10]
					}
					scale RWorld_Ring_Radius
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Post a reply to this message

> I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
> interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up? Thanks.
>

> Mike

it's likely not your media - but your media settings.

try:

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E

Post a reply to this message

> On 2/5/2021 5:59 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> > I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
> > interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up? Thanks.
>
> Here is the media: ...

tweaking the code may gain you some, but, perhaps, you can cheat and clip the
sphere/planet just behind the horizon, saving ~40%.

>       [0 rgb 0/10]

confused why you don't write just '[0 rgb 0]'.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Op 05/02/2021 om 11:59 schreef Mike Horvath:
> On 2/5/2021 5:59 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
>> interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up?
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Mike
>

> Here is the media:

I am studying/testing your media, but need a little time...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> it's likely not your media - but your media settings.
>
> try:

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E

I'm not sure how that applies to my case. I am not using emissive media
or the "samples" keyword.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 2/5/2021 5:59 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I have a planetary atmosphere with both scattering and absorption
>>> interior media. It renders very slowly. Any tips on speeding it up? Thanks.
>>
>> Here is the media: ...
>
> tweaking the code may gain you some, but, perhaps, you can cheat and clip the
> sphere/planet just behind the horizon, saving ~40%.

It's actually a cylinder or ring, so it reflects upon itself on the insides.

>>        [0 rgb 0/10]
>
> confused why you don't write just '[0 rgb 0]'.
>

> regards, jr.

I use fractions a lot and like to keep the source code tidy.

Mike

Post a reply to this message