POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up media : Re: Speeding up media Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:40:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up media
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Feb 2021 02:30:23
Message: <60223a0f@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E

>>> I'm not sure how that applies to my case. I am not using emissive
>>> media or the "samples" keyword.
>>>

>> There is nothing really wrong with your code as far as I can tell and
>> from own experience. From the outside (of the media) it is even rather
>> fast due to the default intervals 1 and samples 1 (Yes! you /do/ use
>> samples, even if you don't).
>>
>> However, depending on the location of the camera within or without the
>> media, render times can be very different; you even may need to
>> increase the samples value to avoid splotches, and that will decrease
>> render time even more although not that much.
>>
>> Using media is time consuming. There is no alternative.
>>

> The default for samples is 10.
> samples default to 1 when using sampling method 1 or 2.
> The default are, as of version 3.6 :
>
> sampling_method 3
> intervals 1 //DO NOT increase !
> samples 10
>
> Increasing intervals dramatically increase the rendering time without
> giving any appreciable improvement.
>
> samples 10 intervals 3 render slower than samples 50 intervals 1.

I don't know where in the wiki there was a line saying defaults being
intervals 1 and samples 1,1. Of course, I cannot find that paragraph
anymore (typical!); but you are right of course: default samples is 10.

--
Thomas