POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : irid turb transformation bug? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  irid turb transformation bug? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Florian Siegmund
Subject: irid turb transformation bug?
Date: 17 Feb 2006 04:15:00
Message: <web.43f59338697f4806668b7c3f0@news.povray.org>
I have an object and I assign iridescence with perturbed thickness to it.
When I transform this object somehow, only the object and its pigment are
transformed, but not the turbulence of the iridescence (what I would expect
though, if I didn't know that pov-ray doesn't transform finish).
So I imagine, when I want a metallic surface with a very thin (and
constant!) layer of oil (with some turbulence) to move around, that there
is no way to do this, beause the oil layer would move on the surface and
therefore would not remain constant.
Shouldn't there be a possibility to transform finish in this case?

Post a reply to this message

Florian Siegmund nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 17/02/2006 04:11:
> I have an object and I assign iridescence with perturbed thickness to it.
> When I transform this object somehow, only the object and its pigment are
> transformed, but not the turbulence of the iridescence (what I would expect
> though, if I didn't know that pov-ray doesn't transform finish).
> So I imagine, when I want a metallic surface with a very thin (and
> constant!) layer of oil (with some turbulence) to move around, that there
> is no way to do this, beause the oil layer would move on the surface and
> therefore would not remain constant.
> Shouldn't there be a possibility to transform finish in this case?

irid is a special case. It's aspect depend on the direction of the light hiting the
object, the
normal at a point, and angle of view.
A workaround would be to keep that object stationary and rotate and move *EVERYTHING*
else around in
the oposite way.
Try puting the whole scene, including the camera and all lights, in an union,
excluding the object
with irid, and apply the transformations to that union.

--
Alain
Expert, n.: Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides.