POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : camera ray hit based slope mapping Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  camera ray hit based slope mapping (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: The Pete
Subject: camera ray hit based slope mapping
Date: 25 Oct 2004 15:59:09
Message: <417d5b0d$1@news.povray.org>
I'm not 100% sure if this is even possible, but I've been working in pov for
some time and I can't figure it out, I thought perhaps I'd give the user
support groups a pop.

Basically, what I'm trying to get is an effect not dissimilar tothe
holograms inthe Final Fantasy movie, where an object is transparent where
the surface normal points atthe camera, but reaches full opacity as the
surface slopes towards 90 degrees from the view point.

I can get something similar using a slope map with a transparancy in the
color map using the angle of the camera as the gradient of the slope map.

However if this object is seen through a mirror or rotated, it just looks
WIERD. what would be ideal is some way of re-aligning the slope map so that
it's gradient was equal to the angle the camera ray hits it.

Does anyone know if it's possible? #
If not, does anyone know where I can suggest it as an update for version
3.7, because I know that 3DStudio max can do it and presumably whatever
SquareFilm rendered the FF movie in can do it, so it's clearly a useful
feature...

-ThePete

Post a reply to this message

> Basically, what I'm trying to get is an effect not dissimilar tothe
> holograms inthe Final Fantasy movie, where an object is transparent where
> the surface normal points atthe camera, but reaches full opacity as the
> surface slopes towards 90 degrees from the view point.

I think you're looking for the angle of incidence pattern which you can find
in MegaPov.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

Cheers for that. Any word on whether that'll be in POV 4.0 as standard?

-Pete

"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in message
>> Basically, what I'm trying to get is an effect not dissimilar tothe
>> holograms inthe Final Fantasy movie, where an object is transparent where
>> the surface normal points atthe camera, but reaches full opacity as the
>> surface slopes towards 90 degrees from the view point.
>
> I think you're looking for the angle of incidence pattern which you can
> find
> in MegaPov.
>
> - Slime
> [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]