POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Possible win-pov bug Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Possible win-pov bug (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Subject: Possible win-pov bug
Date: 22 Jul 2004 16:16:46
Message: <410020ae$1@news.povray.org>
Well... OK... it's not Earth-shattering...

Try this:

#declare F1 = function(a, b, c, d) {a+b+c+d}
#declare F2 = function(a, b, c, d) {select(F1(a, b), a*b*c*d, a/b-c/d)}

When I try to render this scene, POV-Ray (correctly) complains. It gives
me an error that says

"Parse Error: Invalid number of parameters: 2 supplied, 4 required!"

However... it highlights the closing bracket of the select() function,
making it look like that is the function that has 2 parameters but needs
4. Had me confused for about an hour before I realised that it's
actually F1() that needs more parameters!

I don't know if this is unique to the select() function. (I would
imagine not, but I haven't checked.)

(This is with POV-Ray "3.6.0.icl8.win32" on Windows XP - not that I
imagine it makes much odds to this...)

Andrew @ home.

Post a reply to this message

Andrew C on Mozilla <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> However... it highlights the closing bracket of the select() function,
> making it look like that is the function that has 2 parameters but needs
> 4. Had me confused for about an hour before I realised that it's
> actually F1() that needs more parameters!

  I have noticed similar behaviour as well: Sometimes the cursor does
not jump to the place of the actual error, but somewhere completely
different in the same line.
  It might have something to do with how the parser works, or something...

>   I have noticed similar behaviour as well: Sometimes the cursor does
> not jump to the place of the actual error, but somewhere completely
> different in the same line.
>   It might have something to do with how the parser works, or something...

In functions it it non-trivial to detect errors early because some errors
can only be determined when the function is compiled (well, there could be a
separate pass for checking, but that would make no difference).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde