POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Q: Spheres/Dots on a sphere Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Q: Spheres/Dots on a sphere (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Christian Grieger
Subject: Q: Spheres/Dots on a sphere
Date: 13 May 2004 04:36:02
Message: <40A33372.FD5D4F77@triplex.de>
Hi there,

I've got a little problem: i want to arrange a number of little
spheres (or dots) on the surface of a big sphere. The tricky thing
is that they should have all the same distance to each other.
Is there a mathematical algorithm to calculate the 3d vectors
for these dots?

thanks,
Christian Grieger

Post a reply to this message

> I've got a little problem: i want to arrange a number of little
> spheres (or dots) on the surface of a big sphere. The tricky thing
> is that they should have all the same distance to each other.
> Is there a mathematical algorithm to calculate the 3d vectors
> for these dots?

There are several approaches to this problem, here's a link:

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/spheres.html

(shameless plug follows:)
But you might also want to have a look at my Electrostatic Repulsion Macro,
downloadable from my website...
http://www.nolights.de

Regards,
Tim
--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

> There are several approaches to this problem, here's a link:
> http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/spheres.html
>
> But you might also want to have a look at my Electrostatic Repulsion Macro,
> downloadable from my website... http://www.nolights.de

thanks, thats exactly what i want!  :)

--
christian grieger