POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rays per pixel Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Rays per pixel (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Subject: Rays per pixel
Date: 22 Feb 2004 06:55:41
Message: <403898bd$1@news.povray.org>
800x600 pixels
1,284,464,188 rays calculated.

That makes an average of... 2675.967 rays per pixel. :-|

But with AA depth=3, maximum should be 81 rays per pixel...

Oh, oh, wait a sec - I get it! That's just the number of rays SHOT from
each pixel! Each ray can become 2 rays every single time it hits a
reflective AND refractive object (of which this scene has 500).

Randomly, any idea how to figure out how many rays were actually
DIRECTLY SHOT from each pixel? (Trying to figure out how hard AA was
working.)

Thanks.
Andrew @ home on Mozilla.

Post a reply to this message

> That makes an average of... 2675.967 rays per pixel. :-|
>
> But with AA depth=3, maximum should be 81 rays per pixel...
>
> Oh, oh, wait a sec - I get it! That's just the number of rays SHOT from
> each pixel! Each ray can become 2 rays every single time it hits a
> reflective AND refractive object (of which this scene has 500).
>
> Randomly, any idea how to figure out how many rays were actually
> DIRECTLY SHOT from each pixel? (Trying to figure out how hard AA was
> working.)

What you are asking for does not make sense: For every supersample taken a
new ray is shot and followed through the scene.  Thus, the number returned
by POV-Ray contains all the information that is useful.  You cannot
determine anything from the number you are asking for.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> Randomly, any idea how to figure out how many rays were actually
> DIRECTLY SHOT from each pixel? (Trying to figure out how hard AA was
> working.)

POV-Ray prints the number of samples per pixel in the statistics
(Smpls/Pxl, right at the beginning).

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> What you are asking for does not make sense: For every supersample taken a
> new ray is shot and followed through the scene.  Thus, the number returned
> by POV-Ray contains all the information that is useful.  You cannot
> determine anything from the number you are asking for.

  I think what he is asking is basically how many times POV-Ray
supersampled. (Well, actually he wants to know how many additional
rays were shot from the camera due to supersampling, but I think
that at least with aa method 1 one can be calculated from the other.)

>> Randomly, any idea how to figure out how many rays were actually
>> DIRECTLY SHOT from each pixel? (Trying to figure out how hard AA was
>> working.)
>

> POV-Ray prints the number of samples per pixel in the statistics
> (Smpls/Pxl, right at the beginning).

Ah... right.

Oh well - if only I'd saved the stats! :-S

Thanks anyway...
Andrew.