POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rays per pixel : Re: Rays per pixel Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rays per pixel
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Feb 2004 07:16:30
Message: <40389d9e$1@news.povray.org>
In article <403898bd$1@news.povray.org> , Andrew C on Mozilla
<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:

> 800x600 pixels
> 1,284,464,188 rays calculated.
>
> That makes an average of... 2675.967 rays per pixel. :-|
>
> But with AA depth=3, maximum should be 81 rays per pixel...
>
> Oh, oh, wait a sec - I get it! That's just the number of rays SHOT from
> each pixel! Each ray can become 2 rays every single time it hits a
> reflective AND refractive object (of which this scene has 500).
>
> Randomly, any idea how to figure out how many rays were actually
> DIRECTLY SHOT from each pixel? (Trying to figure out how hard AA was
> working.)

What you are asking for does not make sense: For every supersample taken a
new ray is shot and followed through the scene.  Thus, the number returned
by POV-Ray contains all the information that is useful.  You cannot
determine anything from the number you are asking for.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde