POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  A question of physics (Message 31 to 36 of 36)
From: simian
Subject: Re: A question of physics
Date: 16 May 2003 21:32:16
Message: <3ec59120@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:57:32 -0400, Warp wrote:

> simian <sim### [at] localhostlocaldomain> wrote:
>> 	Observable and invisible are different things.
>
>   Right. They are opposite things.
>
>> The hot air over a road is invisible but observable by the turbulent
>> distortion.
>
>   It can't be invisible if it's observable. :)

	Assume wise expression and far away look.

	Can you see the wind, Grasshopper?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 16 May 2003 21:39:09
Message: <3ec592bd$1@news.povray.org>
simian wrote:
> 	Assume wise expression and far away look.
> 	Can you see the wind, Grasshopper?

Trees moving back and forth makes the wind blow.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 May 2003 21:56:42
Message: <cjameshuff-FA41E4.20571416052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <9l1acvo9rnd6u8ci0pehb6qv6pvguudkla@4ax.com>,
 Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

> It's just that the nitrogen molecule scatters blue. Dust can be of any
> color, making up for some gorgeous sunsets after a sandstorm (we had
> some last month when a heat wave from North Sahara hit us.)

Well, dust can be of any colored substance, but particles of the size
that will stay in the atmosphere for any significant amount of time are
small enough that they scatter blue wavelengths more. Similar to the
reasons shorter wavelengths are used for higher magnification microscopy.

Try pouring a little milk into a glass of water and shine a flashlight
through it...depending on the angle you observe it at, the scattered
beam will appear blue or orange.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/