POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Binary file I/O? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Binary file I/O? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Binary file I/O?
Date: 13 Apr 2003 09:08:50
Message: <3e996162@news.povray.org>
Just a quick one... Would it be possible to get POV-Ray to read/write binary
files? (As opposed to plain text?)

I think I remember seeing  character <==> ASCII code conversion functions
somewhere in the docs... POV-Ray doesn't do anything weird to the ASCII
codes you ask it to write does it? (Like LF -> CR/LF conversions and stuff.)

Why am I asking? Well, not content with making a microprocessor emulator
with the SDL, I'm now thinking about making a sound synthesiser, so I want
to be able to write .WAV files (which are of course binary!) I'm planning to
make an animation, and I want POV-Ray to synthesise the soundtrack...

Thanks.
Andrew.

(Inspired by "just a rhythemic doodle" - I can't quote the author's name
because my useless news reader has kindly deleted the thread for me.
[mutters random Micro$oft hate phrases])

Post a reply to this message

> Why am I asking? Well, not content with making a microprocessor emulator
> with the SDL, I'm now thinking about making a sound synthesiser, so I want
> to be able to write .WAV files (which are of course binary!) I'm planning to
> make an animation, and I want POV-Ray to synthesise the soundtrack...

You're a sick, sick puppy.

On the other hand, if POV could read binary files, you could use it to
make a rendering OF the wav file...

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

> On the other hand, if POV could read binary files, you could use it to
> make a rendering OF the wav file...

Oh, I intend to do that too ;-)

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

There are those people who manage to write synthesizer-like stuff in flash
(.swf) applets.

Post a reply to this message

> Just a quick one... Would it be possible to get POV-Ray to read/write
> binary files? (As opposed to plain text?)
>
> Why am I asking? Well, not content with making a microprocessor emulator
> with the SDL, I'm now thinking about making a sound synthesiser, so I want
> to be able to write .WAV files

What about using an ASCII sound format. According to the manual, sox
(http://sox.sourceforge.net/) can read and write DAT files, which are
a text representation of audio data. This is perhaps easier than
discussing this binary data subject again.

I hope this helps
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:46:43 +0100, "Andrew Coppin"
<orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

>Just a quick one... Would it be possible to get POV-Ray to read/write binary
>files? (As opposed to plain text?)
>
>I think I remember seeing  character <==> ASCII code conversion functions
>somewhere in the docs... POV-Ray doesn't do anything weird to the ASCII
>codes you ask it to write does it? (Like LF -> CR/LF conversions and stuff.)

Have povray write the bianry data as a uuencoded txt file.  Then
run through a separate uudecoder after thr render.

>Why am I asking? Well, not content with making a microprocessor emulator
>with the SDL, I'm now thinking about making a sound synthesiser, so I want
>to be able to write .WAV files (which are of course binary!) I'm planning to
>make an animation, and I want POV-Ray to synthesise the soundtrack...
>
>Thanks.
>Andrew.

I want to do this as well.  It's fun to use POV-Ray for completely
non-graphical tasks.  I even wrote a program to auto-generate
game levels in POV-RAy.  :)

It's fun to write .bat files from POV-Ray.  :) :) :)

Post a reply to this message

> Have povray write the bianry data as a uuencoded txt file.  Then
> run through a separate uudecoder after thr render.

Hey, now that's using your noodle...

> I want to do this as well.  It's fun to use POV-Ray for completely
> non-graphical tasks.  I even wrote a program to auto-generate
> game levels in POV-RAy.  :)
>
> It's fun to write .bat files from POV-Ray.  :) :) :)

Mmm... and I thought I was crazy for writing DOS scripts that write DOS
scripts...

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message