POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bug with defined() ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Bug with defined() ? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Bug with defined() ?
Date: 4 Aug 2002 11:44:42
Message: <3d4d4bea$1@news.povray.org>
When attempting to read an empty file (the file is
there, but containing not a single character)
like this:
#read (File, _PreviouslyUndeclared)

I'd expect defined(_PreviouslyUndeclared) to return
false.
It doesn't.

If I check the file before any reading with defined(File),
I get a true, after attempt to read, I get false, but
not only when the file is empty, but also when reading
the last data.

E.g.: A file filled with 3 vectors. If I check defined(File)
before and after reading, I get 3 true for the check before,
but only two true for the check after reading.
Checking if (_PreviouslyUndeclared) is defined results in
true all the time.

So. Is this really what I should expect?

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Post a reply to this message

> When attempting to read an empty file (the file is
> there, but containing not a single character)
> like this:
> #read (File, _PreviouslyUndeclared)
>
> I'd expect defined(_PreviouslyUndeclared) to return
> false.
> It doesn't.

_PrevioslyUndeclared is defined but it is not initialised (Did I use the
right words?)

> If I check the file before any reading with defined(File),
> I get a true, after attempt to read, I get false, but
> not only when the file is empty, but also when reading
> the last data.

This does only happen when you dont have a comma behind the last data item.

> So. Is this really what I should expect?

?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 Aug 2002 13:59:41
Message: <3d4d6b8d@news.povray.org>
Thanks for both answers, I'll check what you mentioned
and reply sometime later again...

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde
"Simon Adameit" <gom### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Tim Nikias" wrote:
> > When attempting to read an empty file (the file is
> > there, but containing not a single character)
> > like this:
> > #read (File, _PreviouslyUndeclared)
> >
> > I'd expect defined(_PreviouslyUndeclared) to return
> > false.
> > It doesn't.
>
> _PrevioslyUndeclared is defined but it is not initialised (Did I use the
> right words?)
>
> > If I check the file before any reading with defined(File),
> > I get a true, after attempt to read, I get false, but
> > not only when the file is empty, but also when reading
> > the last data.
> >
> This does only happen when you dont have a comma behind the last data
item.

> > So. Is this really what I should expect?
> >

> ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 5 Aug 2002 12:35:18
Message: <3d4ea946@news.povray.org>
Its finally working!
I never thought that the files would need that extra
comma to work. IMHO its may be easier for
a starter (simply append to file with Data+",") but
I think it would make more sense if defined(File)
would return false if no data follows, not if no
data follows after a comma.
Ah well. It was probably thought of some long time
ago, and I don't want to start a debate about such
small things.

But some note in the docs would perhaps be of some
help? Ingo?

Regards,

Tim

--