POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : double_illuminate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  double_illuminate (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Joshua McFadden
Subject: double_illuminate
Date: 1 Jul 2002 16:31:26
Message: <3D20BC1D.5080707@mindsound.org>
I have lovely huge meshes made of smooth triangles, and I'm running into
the normal inversion problem that warp talks about here:
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/SmoothTriangleArtifact/
(though it seems to be down atm?).  Horrible black patches.  Yuk.

I'd like to try using the double_illuminate hack, but I can't find a
version of POV that has it!  In the version history
(http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/revision.txt), it says
that they took double_illuminate out, but it's not in the official 3.0
source (I'm looking in tokenize.c).  Likewise it's not in any of the 3.1
sources I can find.  I see that double_illuminate is in Megapov 0.7, but
Megapov doesn't have a Makefile.  Arg!  Can anyone advise me where I can
get a version of POV, source or binary, for Linux which actually has
double_illuminate?

Thanks!

-Josh
http://mindsound.org/

Post a reply to this message

Joshua McFadden <jos### [at] mindsoundorg> wrote:
> I'd like to try using the double_illuminate hack, but I can't find a
> version of POV that has it!

  POV-Ray 3.5 has it, as well as MegaPov (any version).
  Even though there's currently no linux-version of 3.5 available, I don't
think you'll have to wait too long to get one.

 Joshua McFadden <jos### [at] mindsoundorg> wrote:

> I'd like to try using the double_illuminate hack, but I can't find a
> version of POV that has it!  In the version history
> (http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/revision.txt), it says
> that they took double_illuminate out, but it's not in the official 3.0
> source (I'm looking in tokenize.c).

I think that was referring to it being added to and then removed from
the 3.1 beta, I remember something about this back on the old Compuserve
forum.

> Likewise it's not in any of the 3.1 sources I can find.  I see that
> double_illuminate is in Megapov 0.7, but Megapov doesn't have a
> Makefile.  Arg!  Can anyone advise me where I can get a version of
> POV, source or binary, for Linux which actually has
> double_illuminate?

Nathan Kopp's MegaPOV web site (http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm) has
links to Linux binaries. Ken Cecka had a page for Unix/Linux, but it has
apparently disappeared. Mark Gordon's web site has a Linux version of
MegaPOVPlus, it is based on an older version of MegaPOV but it has the
double_illuminate patch. A look through Google might show something,
there are plenty of people using it under Linux.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/