POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Vector average question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Vector average question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Rune
Subject: Vector average question
Date: 3 Nov 2001 19:06:14
Message: <3be48676@news.povray.org>
If I have a bunch of random 3-d vectors, is there a way I can find a new
vector that is as close as possible to being perpendicular to as many as
possible of the vectors?

...or practically the same question formulated differently: If I have a
bunch of random points, how can I find the normal of the plane that is as
close as possible to as many as possible of the points? (The average
distance from a point to the plane should be as small as possible.)

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)