POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : a math question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  a math question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Randolph Robnett
Subject: a math question
Date: 11 Dec 2000 16:20:40
Message: <3a354528$1@news.povray.org>
First let me thank everyone for there response to my question about making
water look as if it is funneling.
Lots of good ideas. Not having ever tried isosurfaces before, I am finding
this very interesting. So on with my question.
  I hope I am explaining this question correctly.
  I remember, way back in my days of algebra and trig, there being a
function 1/x that when plotted on an 'XY' coordinate would give you
something that looked like a funnel. Knowing these functions is there anyway
to use them in an isometric or maybe even a parametric surface. Maybe the
answer is in front of me and my math is just a little rusty, actually a
whole lot rusty
  Once again I thank you for your help and knowledge

Post a reply to this message

>   I hope I am explaining this question correctly.
>   I remember, way back in my days of algebra and trig, there being a
> function 1/x that when plotted on an 'XY' coordinate would give you
> something that looked like a funnel. Knowing these functions is there anyway
> to use them in an isometric or maybe even a parametric surface. Maybe the
> answer is in front of me and my math is just a little rusty, actually a
> whole lot rusty
>   Once again I thank you for your help and knowledge

how about:

function { y + ( 1 / sqrt(x^2 + z^2 + 0.01) ) }

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>