POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : reading external files Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  reading external files (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: zhiwu (david) fang
Subject: reading external files
Date: 14 Mar 2002 16:08:09
Message: <3C9111A6.5552AA72@caltech.edu>
>I was trying to animate the process of multiple particle collisions
with
> generated data by another program. The data file contains position,
> translational velocity & angular velocity for N particle on T steps. I

> used #while-#end directive and  a counter "istep"  trying to read in
> data for all T steps, but it seems that it repeatedly  read data for
> first step. Could anybody help me out?  With my thanks in advance.
>
> david

I was redirected to post this question here. I figured it out why but
still
need help.

Every time POV-Ray reads an external file, it starts from the first
record.
So what I did was to read in N*clock*#IFF for current  "clock",  and
skip
first N*(clock*#IFF -1). The approach is very inefficient if the data
file
is big. I was wondering if anybody has better idea. Thanks.

David

Post a reply to this message

> Every time POV-Ray reads an external file, it starts from the first
> record.
> So what I did was to read in N*clock*#IFF for current  "clock",  and
> skip
> first N*(clock*#IFF -1). The approach is very inefficient if the data
> file
> is big. I was wondering if anybody has better idea. Thanks.

One obvious approach is to split the data into several small files.

In megapov you can also use 'persistence of variables' function to avoid
newly reading the file for every frame.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,