POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : reading external files : reading external files Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  reading external files
From: zhiwu (david) fang
Date: 14 Mar 2002 16:08:09
Message: <3C9111A6.5552AA72@caltech.edu>
>I was trying to animate the process of multiple particle collisions
with
> generated data by another program. The data file contains position,
> translational velocity & angular velocity for N particle on T steps. I

> used #while-#end directive and  a counter "istep"  trying to read in
> data for all T steps, but it seems that it repeatedly  read data for
> first step. Could anybody help me out?  With my thanks in advance.
>
> david

I was redirected to post this question here. I figured it out why but
still
need help.

Every time POV-Ray reads an external file, it starts from the first
record.
So what I did was to read in N*clock*#IFF for current  "clock",  and
skip
first N*(clock*#IFF -1). The approach is very inefficient if the data
file
is big. I was wondering if anybody has better idea. Thanks.

David