POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Focal-Blur VS Antialiasting method 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Focal-Blur VS Antialiasting method 2 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Focal-Blur VS Antialiasting method 2
Date: 7 Feb 2002 14:26:52
Message: <3C62D4E7.E408EE7@gmx.de>
While tracing images and doing some test runs
for the IRTC-Still, I've noticed that using
focal-blur with 20 samples takes far longer
than Antialiasing method 2 with depth set 2
(which may use 25 samples). I haven't run
with depth set to 3 (since on thumbnail-tests
thats not worth it), but it still is a huge amount
of time in comparison.
I guess it has to do with the algorithm, since
focal-blur probably uses all samples, whereas
the antialiasing only kicks in when needed.

Any suggestions on how to improve focal-blur?
 A major trace is running for one and a half days
now, and since RL will get in the way, I'll probably
have to jump to antialiasing anyway. But I thought
a nice discussion could clear some things up for me.

Thanks in advance!

--
Tim Nikias