POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray & command line parametrization Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray & command line parametrization (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Tero Kukola
Subject: POV-Ray & command line parametrization
Date: 15 Nov 2001 17:12:20
Message: <3bf43dc4$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

Motivation:
I have a set of GUI components done with POV-Ray. That is, a few pov-files
which are parametrized by macros and declarations from include files. I just
edit one file and run a shell script (Cygwin, bash) to create textures.
While the script is executed a set of settings files (.inc) are cycled by
the script to change the global settings (to produce base textures, nice
faded alpha masks etc).

Solution:
I would be nice if I could:
* pass include files as command line parameters
* pass declarations as command line parameters
* ...and maybe put includes and declarations to ini-files

The include files and declarations would be treated as if they were in the
pov-file. Think about C/C++ global definitions (e.g. DEBUG_ON) or java's
"-D" option (e.g. java -Dpovray.myoption.renderfoo=bar). IMHO this would
ease the use of command line POV-Ray in scripts/makefiles a lot.

Nitpicking department:
I use version "3.1g.watcom.win32" with the scripts and it is a bit of pain
in the ass...the window is always created, no messages to stdout/stderr and
you need that evil "/exit" parameter. I just learned about this promising
Cygwin-version someone has created. Anyway, I think there should be a proper
and pure command line version available for 32-bit Windozes (you know, long
filenames, no memory issues, compared to ms-dos version).

Offtopic:
Is there a command line image manipulation tool which can:
* add alpha channel to an image by using another image as source (both pngs)
* convert png to targa and preserve the alpha channel

ImageMagick failed on both...or I failed to use it correctly. It just feels
overkill to hack C-apps to do solve these trivial problems (well, I already
did, but... ;)

Tero Kukola

Post a reply to this message

> I have a set of GUI components done with POV-Ray. That is, a few pov-files
> which are parametrized by macros and declarations from include files. I just
> edit one file and run a shell script (Cygwin, bash) to create textures.
> While the script is executed a set of settings files (.inc) are cycled by
> the script to change the global settings (to produce base textures, nice
> faded alpha masks etc).
>
> Solution:
> I would be nice if I could:
> * pass include files as command line parameters
> * pass declarations as command line parameters
> * ...and maybe put includes and declarations to ini-files

Declarations via command line/ini file are possible with Povray 3.5.
Including files is not, but i don't think that would be necessary since
you can use #if for conditional includes.

> Nitpicking department:
> I use version "3.1g.watcom.win32" with the scripts and it is a bit of pain
> in the ass...the window is always created, no messages to stdout/stderr and
> you need that evil "/exit" parameter. I just learned about this promising
> Cygwin-version someone has created. Anyway, I think there should be a proper
> and pure command line version available for 32-bit Windozes (you know, long
> filenames, no memory issues, compared to ms-dos version).

There is no problem with long filenames and memory with the cygwin
version.  The only problem is speed, but that's nothing that seems to
bother you. ;-)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>