POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to get a projector effect? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  How to get a projector effect? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: CreeD
Subject: How to get a projector effect?
Date: 12 Jul 2000 18:54:23
Message: <01bfec54$e34c4e20$a213a1d0@mk>
Hi, I was wondering how to accomplish this.
I have a sphere with a funky layered texture.  What I want to do is make
this
layered texture semi transparent, and then project light through it from
above
to a white plane below.
I've tried making it transparent by tweaking the color maps' filter
settings,
and that doesn't work.  I ended up using a texture_map average with
pigment {rgbf <1,1,1,1>} and that sort of gets the job done, but now my
colors are washed out and no matter how bright my light is, the projected
colors are dull.

Is there a way to get a realistic projector effect in regular or megaPOV?
i.e.
like projecting light through a slide and onto a white movie screen?
Can I make the plane pick up colors better?

Or maybe a better question is how do I take my funky bozo/marble/crackle
sphere and make it semi-transparent the way I want, with full colors?

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I was wondering how to accomplish this.
> I have a sphere with a funky layered texture.  What I want to do is make
> this
> layered texture semi transparent, and then project light through it from
> above
> to a white plane below.
> I've tried making it transparent by tweaking the color maps' filter
> settings,
> and that doesn't work.  I ended up using a texture_map average with
> pigment {rgbf <1,1,1,1>} and that sort of gets the job done, but now my
> colors are washed out and no matter how bright my light is, the projected
> colors are dull.
>
> Is there a way to get a realistic projector effect in regular or megaPOV?
> i.e.
> like projecting light through a slide and onto a white movie screen?
> Can I make the plane pick up colors better?
>
> Or maybe a better question is how do I take my funky bozo/marble/crackle
> sphere and make it semi-transparent the way I want, with full colors?

For maximum colouration of the light you'll want to use a filter value of 1,
with saturated colours, e.g. rgbf <1, 0, 0, 1> will filter white light to be
completely red, whereas rgbf <1, .5, .5, 1> will give a washed out red.  You
could also try decreasing the ambient and increasing the diffuse finish
values of your plane to increase the contrast and brightness of the
reflected light.

Apart from that, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use
multi-layered, semi-transparent textures as a projector - I've just tried a
quick example myself in official POV and everything seems to work as
expected.  Perhaps some code would help to clarify the problem...

Post a reply to this message