POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : File I/O question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  File I/O question (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: David Vincent-Jones
Subject: File I/O question
Date: 10 Mar 2000 13:40:59
Message: <38c941bb@news.povray.org>
I would like to be able to selectively read from a text file with records
terminated with a line feed.

The #read - #write looks just fine for a single item file but how can I
select a specific record?

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: File I/O question
Date: 10 Mar 2000 19:32:32
Message: <38C99491.45FB4438@peak.edu.ee>
Random reading is not very easy with POV. You have to move through records one
by one, i.e. to get to record N you have go through 1,2,3,...,N #reads. For
example get 10th record do sth. like this (untested):

#fopen F "file" read
#local N=10; //Needed record
#local C=0;
//Jump through the first 9 records
#while (C<N)
  #read(F,X)
#end
#read(F,NeededValue)

Of course if all jumps are are known to be forward (i.e. the next record is
always somewhere after the current one) you don't have to start from the
beginning every time (to restart from the beginning you have to close the file
and reopen it)
Not very elegant; if memory is not a critical issue, I suggest you read all
values into an array, and use this instead.
Also note that values _have_ to be separated by commas.

Margus

David Vincent-Jones wrote:

> I would like to be able to selectively read from a text file with records
> terminated with a line feed.
>
> The #read - #write looks just fine for a single item file but how can I
> select a specific record?

Post a reply to this message

Looks like this would be a useful extension area for the language

If the full file is placed into an array. What is the array item select
procedure. I don't see anything in the Help and not much in the written
Docs.

David

Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote in message
> Random reading is not very easy with POV. You have to move through records
one
> by one, i.e. to get to record N you have go through 1,2,3,...,N #reads.
For
> example get 10th record do sth. like this (untested):
>
> #fopen F "file" read
> #local N=10; file://Needed record
> #local C=0;
> file://Jump through the first 9 records
> #while (C<N)
>   #read(F,X)
> #end
> #read(F,NeededValue)
>
> Of course if all jumps are are known to be forward (i.e. the next record
is
> always somewhere after the current one) you don't have to start from the
> beginning every time (to restart from the beginning you have to close the
file
> and reopen it)
> Not very elegant; if memory is not a critical issue, I suggest you read
all
> values into an array, and use this instead.
> Also note that values _have_ to be separated by commas.
>
> Margus
>
> David Vincent-Jones wrote:
> >
> > I would like to be able to selectively read from a text file with
records
> > terminated with a line feed.
> >
> > The #read - #write looks just fine for a single item file but how can I
> > select a specific record?

Post a reply to this message