POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How do I limit the scope of turbulence in a texture_map ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  How do I limit the scope of turbulence in a texture_map ? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Alun Thomas
Subject: How do I limit the scope of turbulence in a texture_map ?
Date: 11 Feb 2000 08:49:48
Message: <38a4137c@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm trying to create a texture that will cover some parts of an object
with one texture, and the rest of the object with another texture. To do
this, I've written a texture using texture_map:

    #declare Mixed_t =
        texture {
            gradient <1,1>
            texture_map {
                [ 0   Texture1_t ]
                [ 0.5 Texture1_t ]
                [ 0.5 Texture2_t ]
                [ 1.0 Texture2_t ]
            }
        }

This works fine,  half the object gets Texture1_t, and the othe half
Texture2_t.

The problem is that I'd like to use turbulence to stir up the boundry
between the 2 textures, without stiring up the 2 textures themselves
(which already have the right ammount of turbulence).

If I add turbulence...

    #declare Mixed_t =
        texture {
            gradient <1,1>
            turbulence 0.2
            texture_map {
                [ 0   Texture1_t ]
                [ 0.5 Texture1_t ]
                [ 0.5 Texture2_t ]
                [ 1.0 Texture2_t ]
            }
        }

... then it stirs up both textures as well as the boundry between them.

Does anyone out there know how I could do this ?

Thanks,
Alun.
(alu### [at] convergyscom)

Post a reply to this message

The only way to do this is to use MegaPov. So you can use the
warp{reset_children} after warp{turbulence 0.2} and just the gradient
(in your example) will have turbulence but not the subtextures.
Look the MegaPov doc for more details.

Fabian.

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a texture that will cover some parts of an object
> with one texture, and the rest of the object with another texture. To do
> this, I've written a texture using texture_map:
>
>     #declare Mixed_t =
>         texture {
>             gradient <1,1>
>             texture_map {
>                 [ 0   Texture1_t ]
>                 [ 0.5 Texture1_t ]
>                 [ 0.5 Texture2_t ]
>                 [ 1.0 Texture2_t ]
>             }
>         }
>
> This works fine,  half the object gets Texture1_t, and the othe half
> Texture2_t.
>
> The problem is that I'd like to use turbulence to stir up the boundry
> between the 2 textures, without stiring up the 2 textures themselves
> (which already have the right ammount of turbulence).
>
> If I add turbulence...
>
>     #declare Mixed_t =
>         texture {
>             gradient <1,1>
>             turbulence 0.2
>             texture_map {
>                 [ 0   Texture1_t ]
>                 [ 0.5 Texture1_t ]
>                 [ 0.5 Texture2_t ]
>                 [ 1.0 Texture2_t ]
>             }
>         }
>
> ... then it stirs up both textures as well as the boundry between them.
>
> Does anyone out there know how I could do this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Alun.
> (alu### [at] convergyscom)

Post a reply to this message

>The only way to do this is to use MegaPov. So you can use the
>warp{reset_children} after warp{turbulence 0.2} and just the gradient
>(in your example) will have turbulence but not the subtextures.
>Look the MegaPov doc for more details.
>
>Fabian.

Thanks Fabian,

That looks like exactly what I'm after, I'll give MegaPov a try.

Alun.

Post a reply to this message