POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inset texture maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Inset texture maps (Message 13 to 22 of 22)
From: Mark Wagner
Subject: Re: Inset texture maps
Date: 2 Apr 2000 00:51:09
Message: <38e6dfcd@news.povray.org>
Sander wrote in message <38e51398$1@news.povray.org>...
>Can you do that with anyone??

Yes, to some degree or other.  I got most of the information from the header
of the message:

Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 00:29:35 -0500

The Message-ID line gives the URL of the computer that sent the message to
the newsgroup.  I can then use the "trace" utility to find the path from my
computer to that computer, and by looking at the URLs of the intermediate
computers, I can usually deduce the physical location of each.  The time
zone given in the date provides a cross-check of the location.

This line says that the person is using the "Mozilla" newsreader version
4.51.  Mozilla is the name used by the Netscape newsreader.  The [en] means
it is the English-language version, and the (X11; I; Linux 2.2.6 i586) gives
the operating system, in this case Linux 2.2.6 (the current version of Linux
is 2.2.14).  The "i586" means that the version of Linux was compiled for a
586 (Pentium) or similar computer.

I'm sure I could get some useful information out of these lines if the
version of the "trace" utility would work with IP addresses in addition to
URLs.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, to some degree or other.  I got most of the information from the header
> of the message:

> Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 00:29:35 -0500
>
> The Message-ID line gives the URL of the computer that sent the message to
> the newsgroup. ...

I tried this:

http://www.siteadd.com/whois.cfm?domain=gate.net

> I'm sure I could get some useful information out of these lines if the
> version of the "trace" utility would work with IP addresses in addition to
> URLs.

Is the trace utility a "standard" unix command?

Btw. wouldn't unix's nslookup 199.227.92.57 give some info?

--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html

Post a reply to this message

>Is the trace utility a "standard" unix command?

Yes.  Unfortunately, I'm using Windows right now since the modem that came
with my computer doesn't work under Linux.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:45:09 -0400, "Mark Wagner"
<mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

>Tor Olav Kristensen wrote in message <38E72B8B.28748F27@hotmail.com>...
>>Is the trace utility a "standard" unix command?
>

>Yes.  Unfortunately, I'm using Windows right now since the modem that came
>with my computer doesn't work under Linux.

Have you tried tracert under Windows?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

>On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:45:09 -0400, "Mark Wagner"
><mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>

>>Tor Olav Kristensen wrote in message <38E72B8B.28748F27@hotmail.com>...
>>>Is the trace utility a "standard" unix command?
>>

>>Yes.  Unfortunately, I'm using Windows right now since the modem that came
>>with my computer doesn't work under Linux.
>
>Have you tried tracert under Windows?

I'm currently using the "Sam Spade" and "Spike" network utilities
collections.  The two of them together provide a fairly comprehensive set of
utilities.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:56:56 -0500, Mark Wagner wrote:
>Yes, to some degree or other.  I got most of the information from the header
>of the message:

To what degree can you do it with me?  What is the IP address of the machine
whose keyboard I'm sitting at?  The machine that's running this copy of slrn?
What's the name of my ISP?  Why does using Linux and Netscape signify an
anti-Microsoft bias?

Post a reply to this message

On 5 Apr 2000 12:48:26 -0400, Ron Parker wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:56:56 -0500, Mark Wagner wrote:
>>Yes, to some degree or other.  I got most of the information from the header
>>of the message:
>
>To what degree can you do it with me?  What is the IP address of the machine
>whose keyboard I'm sitting at?  The machine that's running this copy of slrn?
>What's the name of my ISP?  Why does using Linux and Netscape signify an
>anti-Microsoft bias?

Oh yeah, and what timezone am I in?

Post a reply to this message

>>To what degree can you do it with me?  What is the IP address of the
machine
>>whose keyboard I'm sitting at?  The machine that's running this copy of
slrn?
>>What's the name of my ISP?  Why does using Linux and Netscape signify an
>>anti-Microsoft bias?
>>

>Oh yeah, and what timezone am I in?

The IP address of the computer that posted the message to the povray.org
news server was 216.202.195.127
Your ISP is Fort Wayne Internet, LLC
You are in the time zone GMT -4 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Mark

Post a reply to this message