POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : car motion, calculus Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  car motion, calculus (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: David Fontaine
Subject: Re: car motion, calculus
Date: 20 Jan 2000 23:51:28
Message: <3887E32F.756D8FBF@faricy.net>
> I don't know what trapezoidal steering mechanisms do...   Do they do what I
> was talking about... about rotating the wheel on the inside of the turn at a
> steeper angle than the wheel on the outside?

Yep!

--
Homepage: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/
___     ______________________________
 | \     |_       <dav### [at] faricynet>
 |_/avid |ontaine      <ICQ 55354965>

Post a reply to this message

From: cc
Date: 20 Jan 2000 23:52:58
Message: <3887e62a@news.povray.org>
Wow!   I'm still new to the idea of getting so many responses so quickly.
Thanks everybody :)

I think there was one thing that I should clarify regarding my original
post.  The system I have now IS able to handle continuous steering-wheel
movement via small incremental changes in steering-angle.    Those
incremental changes add up to a lot of number crunching during parse time.
For movements that leave the steering wheel in one position, we're just
dealing with arks and it's not too difficult.  One or two of my earlier
tests animations involved a steering-angle which went instantly from 45
degrees left to 45 degrees right to instantly straight...... physically
impossible yes, but easy to work with.  :-)

It was after that that I added the sweeping steering-angle movements and the
accelleration and the scripting and all that...    Here's where it's a
choice of working with arcs, and crunching away at a lot of them... or
(sigh) calculus.

-Charles

Post a reply to this message