POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : I have noticed math questions here Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  I have noticed math questions here (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Matt Giwer
Subject: I have noticed math questions here
Date: 13 Jan 2000 02:43:44
Message: <387D823B.D08D8A84@ij.net>
And I have seen some deficiencies on the web. In
the old days we didn't have calculators. But in those
days we had rather simple formulas for most everything
easily implemented in the POV parser. They were all in
the CRC books. Chemical Rubber Company.

    I have no idea what is in the CRC books today but
if you stop in a few used book stores you should be
able to find old ones for a few dollars. The older the
cheaper and math doesn't change.

Post a reply to this message

>     And I have seen some deficiencies on the web. In
> the old days we didn't have calculators. But in those
> days we had rather simple formulas for most everything
> easily implemented in the POV parser. They were all in
> the CRC books. Chemical Rubber Company.
>
>     I have no idea what is in the CRC books today but
> if you stop in a few used book stores you should be
> able to find old ones for a few dollars. The older the
> cheaper and math doesn't change.

The CRC Handbook of Mathematical Curves and Surfaces is on the
recommended reading list at the end of the POV docs, as is the CRC
Handbook of Standard Mathematical Tables.  Either would be more useful
to POV-Ray users than the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which
is the only one I've ever been able to track down in used book stores.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

In article <387### [at] mailbagcom>, mtg### [at] povrayorg wrote:

> The CRC Handbook of Mathematical Curves and Surfaces is on the
> recommended reading list at the end of the POV docs, as is the CRC
> Handbook of Standard Mathematical Tables.  Either would be more useful
> to POV-Ray users than the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which
> is the only one I've ever been able to track down in used book stores.

I have the 46'th Edition CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, I keep
it right next to my computer. :-)
While I do find it useful, you are right, I have never used it for
POV-Ray. I will have to start looking for the others, and a replacement
for the one I have(a dog mistook it for a chew toy, and ruined some
pages).

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom