POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problems with media container objects intersecting other media objects. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with media container objects intersecting other media objects. (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: PatchWerk
Subject: Problems with media container objects intersecting other media objects.
Date: 17 Sep 1999 03:01:37
Message: <37e1e751@news.povray.org>
Howdy! Yet another person who REALLY misses the simplicity of the
old atmospheric and halo system. Okay, here we go; I have two objects: One
is a crystalline structure of two spires, the other a cloud
of dense mist at its base. The spires are a height field containing a media
to simulate crystal. The mist is a flattened sphere containing a media. Both
use only the scattering type.  I've scaled the media in the sphere so that
the particles do not come near the surface of the sphere... HOWEVER... where
the surface of the container sphere intersects the lower section of the
spires, there is a uniformly bright patch inside the spires, if the
container is made transparent using transmittance,  or a uniformly dark
patch if the container uses filter transparency.  I've tried clipping the
sphere with an inverse of the height field, to no avail. I've tried using
the a difference of sphere and a copy of the height field, also with no
success... I'm open to suggestions. To preempt the obvious replies, all of
my hollow keywords are in place, and I've eliminated all coincident
surfaces. (the dark/bright patches occur inside the spires) Thanks in
advance guys.

Post a reply to this message