POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : transparent meshes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  transparent meshes (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: transparent meshes
Date: 17 Aug 1999 07:12:32
Message: <37b943a0@news.povray.org>
Hi

I've just created a figure in Organica, outputted it in 3ds the converted it
to pov smooth triangle in 3dWin ver 4.

The result what I expected except when rendered the figure is transparent.
I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I've never had this problem before and I am at a complete loss as to why it
should have come about.

BTW I'm using the superpatch.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I can provide the files if
it would help, though the figure file is quite
large.

Thank in advance

Mick

Post a reply to this message

> I've just created a figure in Organica, outputted it in 3ds the converted it
> to pov smooth triangle in 3dWin ver 4.
>
> The result what I expected except when rendered the figure is transparent.
> I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.
>
> I've never had this problem before and I am at a complete loss as to why it
> should have come about.
>
> BTW I'm using the superpatch.
>
> Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I can provide the files if
> it would help, though the figure file is quite
> large.
>
> Thank in advance
>
> Mick

There have been some weird problems with the superpatch and meshes lately.
Have you verified it with the official version ?

Even as I type this I am rendering a diamond created with triangles and I
am having no problems with tranparency in the official version. Before I
added an ior value it was invisible.

If you can' figure it out I would be glad to check it our for you. I have
no problems with big ol meshy files.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

The problem disappears when I use a normal colour rgb statement. It's only
there when I use Gray50 type quick colour statements

Mick

Mick Hazelgrove <mha### [at] mindaswinternetcouk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've just created a figure in Organica, outputted it in 3ds the converted
it
> to pov smooth triangle in 3dWin ver 4.
>
> The result what I expected except when rendered the figure is transparent.
> I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.
>
> I've never had this problem before and I am at a complete loss as to why
it
> should have come about.
>
> BTW I'm using the superpatch.
>
> Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I can provide the files
if
> it would help, though the figure file is quite
> large.
>
> Thank in advance
>
> Mick

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:41:22 +0100, Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
>The problem disappears when I use a normal colour rgb statement. It's only
>there when I use Gray50 type quick colour statements

Can you show us a representative line or two of the file that causes the
problem without posting/sending the whole thing?  Specifically, the texture
you're applying.

Post a reply to this message

Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:41:22 +0100, Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
> >The problem disappears when I use a normal colour rgb statement. It's
only
> >there when I use Gray50 type quick colour statements
>
> Can you show us a representative line or two of the file that causes the
> problem without posting/sending the whole thing?  Specifically, the
texture
> you're applying.

Post a reply to this message

This is weird now it seems to have something to do with the scale of the
normal

> #declare ManTex = texture{
>     pigment{color rgb<.5.5.5>}// this works
>     pigment{Gray95}// this is transparent
>         finish{ambient .01 diffuse .3}
>             normal{bumps scale .0001}
>             }
> Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:41:22 +0100, Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
> > >The problem disappears when I use a normal colour rgb statement. It's
> only
> > >there when I use Gray50 type quick colour statements
> >
> > Can you show us a representative line or two of the file that causes the
> > problem without posting/sending the whole thing?  Specifically, the
> texture
> > you're applying.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:50:12 +0100, Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
>Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:41:22 +0100, Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
>> >The problem disappears when I use a normal colour rgb statement. It's
>only
>> >there when I use Gray50 type quick colour statements
>>
>> Can you show us a representative line or two of the file that causes the
>> problem without posting/sending the whole thing?  Specifically, the
>texture
>> you're applying.

I can't duplicate this with my build of the Superpatch, with either mesh
or mesh2.  What do you get when you render the scene below?

#include "colors.inc"

#declare ManTex = texture{
    //pigment{color rgb<.5.5.5>}// this works
    pigment{Gray95}// this is transparent
    finish{ambient .01 diffuse .3}
    normal{bumps scale .0001}
}

camera {location <0,0,-10> look_at 0}
light_source {<-20,-20,-20> rgb 2}
plane {-z,-5 pigment {bozo}}

//mesh {
//  triangle {x,y,z texture {ManTex}}
//}

mesh2 {
  vertex_vectors {3, x,y,z }
  texture_list {1, texture{ ManTex }}
  face_indices {1, <0,1,2>,0 }
}

Post a reply to this message

> The result what I expected except when rendered the figure is transparent.
> I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

At first I thought it might be the double-illumination problem, but that
has been 'fixed' in the Superpatch...

-Nathan