POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Is this a bug? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  Is this a bug? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Is this a bug?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 12:05:59
Message: <37cff1e7@news.povray.org>
Someone discovered this bug in povray.newusers. I'm confirming that it
really is a bug before posting a bug report.

  When rendering the following scene povray issues the warning "No pigment
type given" although there are no objects without pigment in the scene.
  If the 'material' statement is removed and 'Test' is used as 'texture'
instead, the warning disappears.

camera { location -z*5 look_at 0 }
light_source { <100,100,-100> 1 }

#declare Test=
  material
  { texture { pigment { rgb x } }
  }

union
{ sphere { -x,2 material { Test } }
  sphere { x,2 material { Test } }
}

>   Someone discovered this bug in povray.newusers. I'm confirming that it
> really is a bug before posting a bug report.
>
>   When rendering the following scene povray issues the warning "No pigment
> type given" although there are no objects without pigment in the scene.
>   If the 'material' statement is removed and 'Test' is used as 'texture'
> instead, the warning disappears.
>
> camera { location -z*5 look_at 0 }
> light_source { <100,100,-100> 1 }
>
> #declare Test=
>   material
>   { texture { pigment { rgb x } }
>   }
>
> union
> { sphere { -x,2 material { Test } }
>   sphere { x,2 material { Test } }
> }
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

It does seem to be a bug.  The warning goes away if any type of pigment
is given to the union outside of the objects.

It works with material{Test} or with pigment{whatever}.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

On 3 Sep 1999 12:05:59 -0400, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>  Someone discovered this bug in povray.newusers. I'm confirming that it
>really is a bug before posting a bug report.

Yes, it really is a bug.  I'm taking the liberty of posting the bug report;
hope that's okay.

>  When rendering the following scene povray issues the warning "No pigment
>type given" although there are no objects without pigment in the scene.
>  If the 'material' statement is removed and 'Test' is used as 'texture'
>instead, the warning disappears.
>
>camera { location -z*5 look_at 0 }
>light_source { <100,100,-100> 1 }
>
>#declare Test=
>  material
>  { texture { pigment { rgb x } }
>  }
>
>union
>{ sphere { -x,2 material { Test } }
>  sphere { x,2 material { Test } }
>}

Here's the problem:  In parse.c, in the function Parse_Object_Mods, the part
that parses materials doesn't set the TEXTURED_OBJECT flag.  Here's something
that looks like a diff but isn't really one (because my line numbers would
be wrong anyway, since I look for these things in the superpatch code):

     CASE (MATERIAL_TOKEN)
       Local_Material.Texture  = Object->Texture;
       Local_Material.Interior = Object->Interior;
       Parse_Material(&Local_Material);
       Object->Texture  = Local_Material.Texture;
+      if ( Object->Texture ) {
+        Object->Type |= TEXTURED_OBJECT;
+      }
       Object->Interior = Local_Material.Interior;
     END_CASE

Post a reply to this message